Thursday, December 23, 2010

DIY W202 Water Pump Replacement

I had a leaking water pump which started out by just being noisy, then it got louder and started leaking, and eventually it lost enough coolant to turn on the Low Coolant light.

My local independent mechanic told me it would cost $490+Tax ($250 part + $220 R&R + $20 coolant). I did it with $126 and about 2 hours of my time. I decided to change the thermostat while I was at it, another $25.

I bought these parts from autohausaz.com
  1. Behr Thermostat
  2. Graf Water Pump
  3. Mercedes-Benz Antifreeze/Coolant
  4. Distilled Water
I followed the instructions here to get the radiator fan off.  Then I followed the instructions here for water pump replacement and here for thermostat replacement. For coolant flush, I used this page.

Additional tools needed:
  1. Purchased a Female Torx Socket Set from Sears for $40.
  2. Borrowed Fan Clutch Wrench from Autozone.
  3. A hose clamp plier of some sort would be good to have (I didn't which made it really hard).
Other relevant threads:
Leaking Water Pump After Replacement

Date: 11/25/2010
Mileage:  119K
Parts: $150
Tool Overhead: $40
Time: 2 hours
Experience Gained: Priceless

No comments:

Post a Comment