Thursday, December 23, 2010

DIY W202 Spark Plugs and Ignition Coil Replacement

At close to 120K, I replaced my ignition coils and spark plugs today.

Last time I changed spark plugs was about a year ago, after I had gotten a misfire in one of my cylinders. I changed the spark plugs and the wire set back then, but the Check Engine Light didn't go off. I later had to clean the mass air flow sensor twice before it went off. (It this had happened today, I would have just replaced the mass air flow sensor).

I didn't need to change the wire set now, but since the ignition coils were the factory installed ones and I suspected they were going bad. I had lost engine power and there was a rattling noise that really bothered me (and my passengers).

Immediately after the change, I noticed the restored power and the rattling noise was gone.

Date: 12/23/2010
Mileage: ~120K
Ignitions coils: 2x$64
Spark Plugs: 4x$4.50
Total Cost: $146
Time: 30 minutes

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    When you say wire set, do you mean from where the plastic cap with 2 pin in it fitted to th low tension side of the coil? & how far back do you have to fit the new wires?

    mine is a 1999 C230K engin ID:111.975 on 132000mls

    Kind regards


    Jon

    mrjonbernard@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for reading my blog!

    I have the same engine and same year. By "wire set", I mean the rubber boots and (rubber) wire plugs that plug into the ignition coils on the high voltage side. The low voltage side with the plastic cap would be your engine wiring harness, and that's much more expensive to change!

    This was the aftermarket part, I bought:
    http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=bggkghqila1j4j554vysejmb&partnumber=2021500119

    In addition to what's shown above, it comes with two boots shown here:
    http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=bggkghqila1j4j554vysejmb&partnumber=0001593642

    I also put some dielectric grease on the contacts on both ends (spark plug side and coil side). Due to heating, lack of dielectric grease makes the boot rubber to stick to the spark plug and it will tear off if you try to take off the boot later. Then you'll be left with pieces of rubber in the hole leading to the spark plug, which is a pain to clean.

    How far back? I don't know how to describe it. Until it feels secure. The dielectric grease makes it easier to push down the boot until it's secure.
    I hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Videoslots youtube - VideoLounge.cc
    Videoslots YouTube. Videoslots youtube. Videoslots YouTube. Videoslots YouTube. Videoslots youtube. Videoslots youtube. Videoslots youtube. Videoslots youtube. youtube to mp3 Videoslots youtube. Videoslots youtube. Videoslots

    ReplyDelete